Newberg City Recorder & NAGARA Member Sue Ryan Receives Omar City Recorder of the Year Award
The Oregon Association of Municipal Recorders (OAMR) presented Newberg City Recorder and active NAGARA member Sue Ryan, CMC, with the 2018 City Recorder of the Year award. Ms. Ryan received the award at the association’s annual conference banquet held at the Holiday Inn at the Airport in Portland, Oregon, on September 21, 2018.
OAMR is a professional organization dedicated to promoting governmental relationships and providing educational and training opportunities for over 200 Oregon city recorders statewide.
The guidelines for Recorder of the Year state any OAMR member, City Manager, or Mayor may submit a confidential nomination to acknowledge recorders and recognize their excellence and professional accomplishments. The nominee must have made an outstanding contribution or performed outstanding service to OAMR, to the profession of Municipal Recorder, or to an individual city during the association fiscal year. This award recognizes outstanding service and performance over and above the person’s job description. Some possible strengths might include areas such as Public Relations, Records Management, Legislative or Council Procedures, or even a special project.
Ms. Ryan has worked for the City of Newberg for four years. Prior to that she was the Deputy City Recorder at the City of Canby for three years and the Deputy City Recorder at the City of Cascade Locks for three years. She received rave reviews for all her hard work on behalf of the City of Newberg. Below are excerpts from the nomination letters:
- Mayor stated he’s worked with many City Clerks over the years but Ms. Ryan stands among the best and has been an outstanding model of a professional City Clerk in her knowledge, work ethic, and commitment to service.
- She was able to convince the Council to switch to electronic packets although they drug our heels prior to being convinced.
- She keeps the City current in public meeting laws, trainings, conferences, and in providing the tools and information needed for part-time employees. She’s consistent in the accuracy of research and providing invaluable advice on important issues such as elections and public records.
- She is the consummate professional with a spirit of empathy and service to citizens.
- She excels in Records Management and is a member and active participant of the Records Management Committee. She steps up to take on new projects and always offers expertise.
- After the City had a significant flooding incident Ms. Ryan jumped right in to emergency
preparedness mode with swift thinking, decision making, and action to alleviate the
problem. She worked hard and long hours, dedicated to saving the City’s records
archives. It would have been much worse had these actions not been performed. She
used this bad situation to teach others.
- Ms. Ryan has taken personal responsibility for educating the public about the role of the
City Clerk with a special historical display and background material prominently
displayed at their City Library.
Ms. Ryan is a very dedicated, driven, professional, public servant who is held in very high esteem not only by her City Manager, Mayor, and Council but also by her colleagues and peers. Congratulations, Ms. Ryan!
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Lisa Scholl, CMC, OAMR Newsletter Committee, 503-366-8216
City of St. Helens